I don’t remember being this excited for a new year in a long time — probably 10 years ago when I was entering my final semester of law school and would finally, finally be entering the “real world” in a few short months. I feel that same kind of anticipation now in the early days of 2011. This past year was one of growth, learning, and clarity for me, and I truly can’t wait to see what 2011 brings.
I first saw this Year End meme at Sundry Mourning, who originally copied it from Gwen’s Petty, Judgmental, Evil Thoughts back in 2004. This year’s version follows, and you can also check out previous ones: 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? The biggest one that sticks out in my memory is delivering a baby goat – yes, with icky, gooey hands and all. In another huge milestone, I earned more as a freelance writer in one year than I ever have in my life. We also produced our very own olive oil, and I became an Eye on Italy podcast co-host, visited two new-to-me regions of Italy (Lombardia (Milan) and Piemonte (Acqui Terme)); met several online friends in person; trimmed goat hooves; made yoga a daily practice (had dabbled before but never with such regularity); participated in 750words.com, and I’m sure many other things I’m forgetting as it was really a full year.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don’t do resolutions, but I’m happy with my year overall. For next year, I have a new plan – and I will tell you about it shortly. Stay tuned!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, all my goats and several friends, including one on December 21. Welcome to Calabria, Baby Max!
4. Did anyone close to you die? No one in my immediate family or friends, but an old high school friend.
5. What countries did you visit? Stayed in Italy this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? A book deal.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Pinta’s birth (March 22) because I’ll never forget my first goat midwifery experience.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? More than doubling my freelance writing income from last year.
9. What was your biggest failure? Unfinished manuscripts…AGAIN, but I’m already working on that. For real!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? A really nasty cut on my right middle finger knuckle, right down to the bone, all healed now. Also a cold upon coming back from northern Italy — my first in several years!
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our campagna! And my iMac, which despite looking like it had died has rebounded wonderfully.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Most high-profile conservative politicians in the U.S. and Berlusconi.
14. Where did most of your money go? Our campagna!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Our campagna!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Definitely not sadder or poorer…not sure if happier, thinner, fatter, or about the same. Eh, I’m happy. That’s plenty.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Various personal projects.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Wasting time.
20. How did you spend Christmas? With P’s parents.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010? Yup, with Pinters Magooch a million times over.
22. What was your favorite TV program? I liked several: The Good Wife, Brothers & Sisters, and Being Erica are probably the top three — ah and Lost, may it rest in peace.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don’t do hate.
24. What was the best book you read? Voices by Dacia Maraini.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? See #16 (hint: not Gaga).
26. What did you want and get? An actual work space.
27. What did you want and not get? An actual kitchen.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Letters to Juliet in all its cheeseball glory, although in my defense, I didn’t see many new movies this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 34, and we had a quiet dinner at home.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? See #6.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Comfort and goats first.
32. What kept you sane? The girls – goats and dogs.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Gotta be the Bear (same as last year).
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Probably health care once again.
35. Who did you miss? Same people I always miss.
36. Who was the best new person you met? I met several online friends in northern Italy in November. Yay!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Simplicity (I’m still learning).
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
There’s a song that they sing when they take to the highway
A song that they sing when they take to the sea
A song that they sing of their home in the sky
Maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep
But singing works just fine for me.
~Sweet Baby James, James Taylor
Please feel free to fill out your own end of year meme and post the link in the comments!