I read a great post at A Child of the Universe (now defunct) that I’d like to share. Dana wrote about an interview by designer Sohiny Das of New Delhi.
One question presented in the interview was:
No guilt in pleasures.
Tell me you don’t love that.
Why shouldn’t we accept, appreciate, and embrace every single thing that gives us pleasure?
Or as Dana so eloquently wrote, “There is absolutely no reason to feel guilt for things that make us happy or give us pleasure, with the caveat of course, that we receive pleasure from something that doesn’t hurt anyone else. Other than that, the sky’s the limit I think.”
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been surrounded by quite a bit of stress lately. Nothing horrible, but enough that my mind wanders from issue to issue even as I’m dozing off at night. So I think it’s time to remind myself of some not-so-guilty pleasures that really, truly make me happy in order to combat some of the negative energy I’m feeling around me.
And just in case you’re in the same frame of mind, I thought I’d share some of my pleasures to get you thinking about yours. A lot of my pleasures revolve around doing not much of anything at all, which may be just what I need to clear my head:
- Sleeping in with P on a rainy weekend morning–when even the doggies don’t stir before we get up.
- Lounging around in pajamas as I lazily make coffee and ease into the day.
- Yoga on the balcony in the morning sunshine.
- A morning in giro by myself, enjoying a cappuccino and a ciambella in my favorite bar with new magazines from the news stand to keep me company.
- Long walks with the doggies into the mountains, watching them race each other, play, and chase anything that moves.
- Sunday afternoons on the couch, under a blankie, with a mug of steaming tea and a stack of English-language magazines and/or a great book.
- Marathons of any number of American series like The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives, The Gilmore Girls.
- Afternoons with P in the garden.
- An entire morning reading my favorite blogs.
- Treating myself to a fabulous bouquet of flowers, whether hand-picked or purchased.
- A long bubble bath by candlelight followed by putting on clean, fleecy clothes (only in the colder months, of course).
What are your (not-so-guilty) pleasures?