Growing up, one of my favorite books was Charlotte’s Web. It is the first full-length book I remember reading, and from that point on, I would scribble stories that happened in my head into my notebook. Not only did E.B. White turn me on to reading, he also turned me on to writing.
And now what a coincidence! One of my favorite blogs is Charlotte’s Web, written by Charlotte, a self-described “transplanted South African living in Germany, land of rules, orange tans and cheesecake.”
Charlotte is a freelance writer and editor and visiting her is always a treat, even when she does memes like this one that I’m borrowing:
1. My uncle once: let me have most of his old photos from his European tour of duty in World War II.
2. Never in my life: have I smoked a cigarette nor would I.
3. When I was five: I was probably being told off for being too sassy.
4. High school was: best experienced in memories.
5. I will never forget: the day I got my acceptance letter to Duke.
6. Once I met: Brian Williams (really we just exchanged smiles).
7. There’s this girl I know: who loves to talk on the phone and say random Italian words to me.
8. Once, at a bar: P and I had our first unofficial date, playing cards and talking.
9. By noon, I’m usually: wondering what happened to the morning.
10. Last night: I slept very well, thank you.
11. If only I had: a free round-trip ticket to the US to see family and friends.
12. Next time I go to church: it will probably be struck down by lightning.
13. What worries me most: is losing people I love.
14. When I turn my head left I see: a blazing fireplace.
15. When I turn my head right I see: P, asking me what I’m looking at.
16. You know I’m lying when: my voice gets a higher pitch.
17. What I miss most about the Eighties is: my innocence about the world and the players in it.
18. If I were a character in Shakespeare I’d be: Viola in The Twelfth Night.
19. By this time next year: I’ll be 33 years old. Thanks for bringing that up.
20. A better name for me would be: Michela since people here would know how to spell it.
21. I have a hard time understanding: war, especially “holy” ones.
22. If I ever go back to school, I’ll: study Italian literature.
23. You know I like you if: I respond promptly to your emails and phone calls.
24. If I ever won an award, the first person I would thank would be: Mom and Dad.
25. Take my advice, never: touch the inside of your oven door after it’s been on for an hour; third-degree burns are likely to ensue.
26. My ideal breakfast is: pancakes, bacon, two eggs over-easy, toast, apple juice, and coffee at Perkins Restaurant.
27. A song I love but do not have is: Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel.
28. If you visit my hometown, I suggest you: plan something else to do with the rest of the day–there are only two streets.
29. Why won’t people: live and let live?
30. If you spend a night at my house: you may have to share your bed with Stella; she’s a cuddler.
31. I’d stop my wedding for: a natural disaster.
32. The world could do without: celebrities.
33. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: eat the belly of a cockroach.
34. My favourite blonde(s) is/are: my niece and nephew, although he’s less blond by the day.
35. Paper clips are more useful than: safety pins if your goal is to bind papers together.
36. If I do anything well it’s: procrastinate.
37. And by the way: if you do this meme, let me know so I can read your answers!
And be sure to check out Charlotte’s Web !